Now that it's November, you're either planning to host Thanksgiving or a road trip to see family for Thanksgiving. Regardless of which option applies to you, you're likely going to be doing some driving for the festivities. Did you know 90% of Thanksgiving travelers are going to drive over any other type of transportation? That means you're bound to hit traffic during this time of year. To ensure you get home for Thanksgiving safely, here are six quick tips to follow this year!
- Tip # 1: Be on the lookout for the weather. Check a weather app to get insight into what to expect during your trip. There could be rainy, icy, or snowy conditions that might set your ETA back.
- Tip #2: Get a pre-trip inspection before you leave. The technicians at Phil's Pro Auto Service can check the ins and outs of your vehicle to ensure you have safe travels. We can check it all from wipers, fluids, battery, tires, brakes, headlights, and engine!
- Tip #3: Practice better general driving habits.
- Remember to adjust seats and mirrors for comfortability.
- Always wear your seat belt.
- Make sure you have a full tank of fuel and don't run your car to empty.
- Follow the speed limit.
- Keep a good distance between you and the car in front of you.
- Tip #4: Avoid peak times of travel. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving and the Sunday after Thanksgiving are the days with the heaviest flow of traffic. If you can arrange your travel plans outside of these days, please do so!
- Tip #5: Watch out for Blackout Wednesday. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is also known as a day where A LOT of alcohol gets consumed. This means that you're more likely to share the road with people under the influence, which is why you need to ensure you stay alert and practice safe driving!
- Tip #6: Be prepared for emergencies. When traveling in the fall and winter, you need to prepare for the unexpected. Don't forget to pack your emergency kit, and please make sure it includes weather-appropriate things like blankets, coats, gloves, socks, etc.
Please call or visit our certified professionals at Phil's Pro Auto Service for a reliable pre-trip inspection before Thanksgiving.